Sunday, July 26, 2015

Thoughts on the Korean series Marrying a Millionaire

I finally finished watching Marrying a Millionaire and though it actually had a happy ending, I was hoping to see more of Eun Young and Young Hoon together in their happier, less problematic moments as a couple.

Anyway, this series touched my heart so deeply. I guess, I related to it because it really isn't a formulaic love story where in one lead is rich and the other one is poor...and that basically would always be the thing they had to deal with. In this series, both leads are actually poor and somehow struggling in a society that is kind to the fortunate and privileged, but brutal to those that were lacking.

For me, it is the simplicity in the manner in which these ordinary characters reacted during tough situations and how they spoke from their hearts' sincerest feelings that made a deep connection to my heart. A man who has struggled to find a way to survive despite his lack of intelligence. A woman who stood by his side even at a chance of a better life. A family that needed to have a reason before realizing to do what's right.

I don't remember crying this much for a series, or maybe my memory isn't all that good. But what I really liked about it is that it doesn't focus merely on romance. Rather, it uses romance as a platform to tackle more important issues in life such as persistence through difficulties, hope despite failures, kindness, gratitude and forgiveness. Most of all, it tells us that love indeed conquers every battle. There isn't anything in this world that cannot be done when you have someone behind you, to inspire and encourage you to become a better person each day.

And yes, Go Soo made me cry again. He was able to depict Young Hoon's pure heart through the softness in his tone, the sincerity in his delivery and the warmth and kindness in his gaze. And though some characters went outright villainous, almost every one had some form of a redemption. In real life, nobody is totally bad. There is always a good in there somewhere.

Well, this series is now one of my all time favorites. I think I might have explained why a little too much. 

No comments: